User Experience Director, Strategy
We’re looking for a strategy lead who relishes understanding what makes people tick, and converting those observations into effective solutions that benefit that person and help to measurably build a client’s business. You’re well versed in a host of methods for evaluating various types of problems, from generative research that helps identify early-stage opportunity areas, to evaluative research to gauge the extent to which a potential solution fits the bill. You know how and when to rely on quantitative tools to build out the picture or optimize the experience. You’re just as eager to roll up your sleeves with tech and creative partners, as you are to host a co-workshop with customers and clients. While you can express your thoughts visually, you’re at your best partnering with others who take those ideas and run with them.
You crave an organization where your contributions will make a strong impact, and an environment where you’re encouraged to share all you’ve learned both with direct reports and an extended team. You want it all wrapped up in a culture that is passionate and insanely committed to creating awesome cross-channel experiences, and bringing new products to life.
- Identify fresh opportunity areas that are meaningful to users and hold value for a business. This includes putting sharper focus around a problem hypothesized by the client or agency team, as well as identifying whitespace opportunities.
- Define the problem/opportunity to be addressed and select the appropriate methods to unpack it, whether they be generative, descriptive or evaluative approaches. Plan, manage, and field research with the support of junior strategists.
- Lead the analysis of research findings in a collaborative manner that engages and inspires the core team (strategists, designers, writers, technologists…) and client partners.
- Craft personas that cogently bring to life the needs, behaviors and motivations of the people we design for. Elucidate the problem to be solved and provide insights into potential solutions through UX design artifact such as customer journeys, experience maps and concept models.
- Create content strategies that align the needs of the user and the brand’s stance
- Partner with creative, tech and account leads to build on your recommendations for a cohesive and integrated approach.
- Play an active role in new business initiatives, including representing user experience strategy in pitch situations and leading discussions about strategic approaches and recommended staffing for strategy projects.
- Provide active thought leadership in user experience issues and trends.
- Manage and mentor junior team members.
Qualifications & Skills Requirements
- 7-10 years in related role such as strategic planning, experience design, service design, or product development.
- Demonstrated ability to garner a deep understanding of the target users’ needs, tasks, motivations and goals, and to articulate UX concepts through scenarios and visualizations
- Depth of experience with primary research methods including in-person interviews, contextual inquiry, as well as projective techniques, co-design sessions and workshops.
- Experience with planning, designing and managing quantitative studies using web analytics and online evaluation tools (such as Optimizely, Treejack, Opinion Lab, etc.).
- Strong understanding of digital channels such as online advertising, websites, apps, and social media.
- Familiarity with brand strategy & architecture, marketing frameworks and positioning.
- Ability to craft measurement plans that tie back to key business outcomes and identify actionable steps for continued improvement.
- Ability to outline the strategic approach for a given client/assignment, including the methods and staffing required.
- Impeccable writing and communication skills, including strong presentation skills and a knack for connecting effectively both verbally and through visuals.
- Track record of partnering with internal teams as well as client partners.
- Self-driven work ethic, intellectual curiosity and creativity.
- A collaborative cross-functional work style.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Design personas, customer journeys, concept models and experience maps.
- Primary research plans, findings and recommendations, as well as related materials (e.g. quant survey development, recruitment screener, discussion guides, journals, online surveys).
- Digital roadmaps and strategy recommendations.
- Measurement strategies, learning plans and program evaluations.
- Competitive assessments & analyses.
- Scopes of work and staffing plans.